1½ cups Southern self-mounting flour, this sort of as White Lily, see notice
¹⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 to 1¼ cups buttermilk, or ¾ cup buttermilk and ½ cup major or whipping product
1 cup all-purpose flour for shaping, see notes
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Notes: Not all White Lily 4 is self-climbing.
• If Southern self-rising flour is not readily available, use 1 cup nationwide brand self-rising all-intent flour and ½ cup cake flour or prompt flour (this sort of as Shake & Bake or Wondra), plus ½ teaspoon baking powder. If self-increasing flour is not obtainable, use all-goal flour and a overall of 1½ teaspoons baking powder.
• Do not use self-soaring flour for shaping mainly because the leavener will give a bitter flavor to the outdoors of the biscuits.
1. Preheat the oven to 475 levels and spray an 8-inch spherical cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix the self-growing flour, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium mixing bowl. With your fingers or a pastry cutter, get the job done the shortening into the flour mixture until eventually there are no shortening lumps larger than a major pea.
3. Stir in the buttermilk and allow stand for 2 or 3 minutes. This dough is so soaked that you simply cannot condition it in the standard manner.
4. Pour the cup of all-purpose flour on to a plate or pie tin. Flour your arms perfectly. Spoon a biscuit-sized lump of soaked dough into the flour and sprinkle some flour in excess of the wet dough to coat the outdoors. Pick up the biscuit and form it approximately into a delicate spherical. At the exact same time, shake off the excessive flour. Drive the biscuits tightly in opposition to one particular yet another in the cake pan so that they will rise up and not spread out. Carry on shaping biscuits in this manner until all of the dough is made use of.
5. Brush the biscuits with melted butter and bake just earlier mentioned the centre of the oven right until frivolously browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 1 or 2 minutes in the pan, then dump out and slice the biscuits apart. Provide whilst hot.
For every serving: 200 calories 7g excess fat 3g saturated fat 9mg cholesterol 4g protein 26g carbohydrate 3g sugar 1g fiber 120mg sodium 34mg calcium
Recipe from “CookWise” by Shirley O. Corriher