Hotels and restaurants produce a large amount of recyclable waste material. They also require more specialized waste containers and rollout carts. The most common type of waste includes organic waste (prepared food and its ingredients), plastic, glass, metal, paper and cardboard which can be managed using a variety of Rubbermaid Waste receptacles and other Outdoor Containers. With proper planning these can be reduced and recycled to a large extent, which can help in saving precious natural resources and also saving energy spent in manufacturing new products. Proper planning can also help in effective disposal of waste material that cannot be recycled. The wastage can be reduced in a great amount by reducing, reusing, and recycling. This article discusses some most effective ways for waste management in food industry:
Ideas to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
1. Replace utensils, dishes made of disposable materials with reusable ones. Reusable items prove economical in the long run as these can be used repeatedly after cleaning and this reduces the garbage expenses.
2. Use reusable napkins, tablecloths instead of disposable ones.
3. Buy large containers rather than buying many small ones. This will not only save money but also reduce container waste.
4. If you see a pattern in food being left over by customers, contemplate smaller servings. If required change the cost accordingly, a lower cost will make you more competitive, also less food will be wasted.
5. Ask your suppliers to provide products which are packaged in recyclable materials.
6. Buy concentrated liquids and soaps and then distill them at your end rather than buying pre-distilled ready-to-use solutions. You will not only save money but will also reduce container wastage.
Features of a successful recycling program
1. Educating your employees about the advantages of reusing and recycling is of paramount importance. Complete participation from the employees can help in making your recycling program a success.
2. Make sure that recycling and trash bins look different and are clearly marked with recycling decals.
3. The recycling bins should be placed at convenient locations where everyone can reach them. This goes for bins placed in the cooking area as well as bins placed in the customer area.
4. Inform the customers about the recycling program in your premises. This will also help in enhancing your image and also encourage participation from the customers for recycling waste materials.
Top recycling-bins manufacturing companies like Rubbermaid, Waste Warrior, Ecolad, United Receptacles, Techstar, Witt and Safco have manufactured several bins having the food industry’s recycling needs in mind. Some most popular bins for employees are Stackable Recycling Containers and Rollout Carts. The most popular bins for customer area are Recycling Container for Aluminum Cans and Designer and Steel Containers, you will find a wide variety of recycling bins to meet you hotel’s or restaurant’s needs.
Food Borne Disease Costs the Hospitality, Healthcare and Food Industry Billions of Dollars a Year
Starting Your Business: Avoiding the “Me Incorporated” Syndrome
The New Uru-Gay Beckons