(NEXSTAR) – Universal Winner Roman Reigns defeated WWE Champion Brock Lesnar in a “Winner Consider All” key party at WrestleMania in AT&T Stadium to become the sole heavyweight champion in WWE. The pair headlined two times of matches that saw more than 150,000 supporters at the property of the Dallas Cowboys in Arlington, Texas.
The two titans battled again and forth crashing through ringside barricades and kicking out of every single other’s signature moves. In the stop, Reigns hit one past spear to take down “The Beast” and generate a pinfall victory.
Reigns and Lesnar experienced been on a collision study course over the previous yr rising as sporting activities entertainment’s two leading present day-working day stars. Lesnar won the 2022 Royal Rumble and quickly picked Reigns at his WrestleMania opponent.
The duo formerly met in most important party matches at WrestleMania 31 and WrestleMania 34.
For the the vast majority of Lesnar’s time in WWE, longtime advocate Paul Heyman experienced been in his corner. Heyman lately turned on his friend and shopper as a substitute siding with the younger Reigns. Considering that that time, the previous UFC winner became a fan favourite speaking for himself for the first time in his profession.
On the other aspect of things, Reigns has been dominant due to the fact returning to the ring pursuing a hiatus more than wellness. The 36-calendar year-outdated came back again with a new attitude and glance ultimately embracing a poor-guy persona as “The Tribal Chief.”
Going into WrestleMania, Reigns held the Common Championship for a lot more than 580 days. This was Reigns’ 6th WrestleMania primary celebration.
Reigns’ rocky road to the top
Reigns debuted as section of a 3-guy team termed The Defend in 2012. He established out on his possess two many years later on and was speedily promoted as lover most loved and leading act. In the years that adopted, lovers pushed back again on Reigns often booing him when the WWE hoped fans would be in his corner.
Even so, he discovered achievements in the ring winning five environment championships and routinely getting some of the company’s major matches. The final time WrestleMania was at AT&T Stadium in 2016, the event ended with Reigns defeating famous winner Triple H.
To the finish of 2018, Reigns exposed he was battling leukemia and would be leaving wrestling to concentrate on his health. This was the next time he battled blood most cancers 1st beating it in 2007. He had been in remission at any time given that.
Reigns took the time off to get in the best condition of his job eventually returning in 2020 next an extra leave of absence throughout the pandemic because of to his compromised overall health.
Lesnar’s accomplishment throughout sporting activities
When Lesnar made his WWE debut in 2002, he was immediately labeled “The Upcoming Large Thing” – which absolutely proved to be genuine. In the months that followed, the previous NCAA wrestling winner turned a major star successful the company’s largest championships. It appeared he’d be a main celebration act for decades to appear, but Lesnar experienced other ideas. Citing the requires of the plan, Lesnar remaining WWE in 2004 to try his hand in other athletics.
Getting not performed structured football given that large faculty, Lesnar tried out out for the Minnesota Vikings and performed a handful of preseason game titles before obtaining produced.
He eventually experimented with his hand at blended martial arts competing for UFC. After a handful of fights, he captured the UFC Heavyweight Championship demonstrating he could be dominate across sporting activities.
In 2012, he’d return to WWE and straight away spark a feud with John Cena. This time, Lesnar would adhere around. Doing work a reduced routine, “The Beast” would pop in and out of the title image for the subsequent 10 years – routinely showing up at WrestleMania and other huge functions.
Gallery: Historical past of Reigns vs. Lesnar
WrestleMania Sunday notes
- Vince McMahon, 76, defeated Pat McAfee in an impromptu match next McAfee’s victory about Austin Principle.
- Edge defeated AJ Designs with a huge spear after Damian Priest provided a distraction at ringside.
- Randy Orton and Matt Riddle productively defended their Raw tag staff titles above Alpha Academy and the Avenue Income. Just after the match, NCAA champion wrestler Gable Steveson confronted Chad Gable tossing him with an overhead stomach-to-stomach suplex.
- Previous champion Bobby Lashley defeated the 7’3″ huge Omos right after two spears.
- Sasha Financial institutions and Naomi captured the Women’s Tag Staff Championships in a fatal 4-way match.
WrestleMania Saturday notes
- Steve Austin produced his prolonged-awaited return to the ring defeating Kevin Owens in a no-holds barred match.
- Charlotte Aptitude defeated “The Baddest Woman on the Planet” Ronda Rousey by pinfall to retain her Smackdown Women’s Championship.
- YouTube celebrity Logan Paul acquired a WrestleMania get right after his tag crew partner The Miz pinned Rey Mysterio to defeat Rey and his son Dominik. Following the victory, The Miz turned on Paul hitting the Skull-Crushing Finale and leaving him laying.
- Bianca Belair captured the Raw Women’s Championship defeating champ Becky Lynch.
- Rick Boogs experienced a significant leg damage in his WrestleMania debut. Boogs was not able to finish the match. The show’s announcers confirmed he’d need to have surgical procedures.
- On Friday night time, wrestling legend The Undertaker was inducted into WWE’s Corridor of Fame as part of WrestleMania weekend. He appeared in front of the group on Saturday and received a standing ovation.